Sunday, May 4, 2008

Never again

Being in your 20s is truly a fantastic age. It’s one of those in-between phases where you’re not considered young but you’re not deemed as old either. It is the age of more responsible experimentation where you still have the luxury of indulging in worldly pleasures without being accused of having a mid-life crisis.


I’m in my early twenties and well, let’s face it, a person my age still plans drunken nights with the hope of having a quick rendezvous with that certain little someone to fill his or her insatiable need for temporary satisfaction. Ok, that sure is not the only reason but anyway!


It’s been a while since I had an alcoholic drink. Sure, I tend to have a sip every now and then, and when I feel like it, I indulge in a harmless cocktail. Ok, let me rephrase that sentence: It’s been a while since I went overboard. Some of my friends are big drinkers and well, for the last two meetings, I decided to just order a diet coke or water. I looked around and watched in dismay, the attitudes and consequential actions and reactions of those willingly drowning themselves in alcohol. And I must say, I’m glad I’ve moved on.


Sure, I’ll get people mocking me and telling me that I’m not ‘living’ but hey if living life is waking up the following morning (or afternoon) lying down near some stranger (who probably has some form of STD) or waking up to nurse the worst possible headache ever, then no thanks!


Don’t get me wrong; I have nothing against people who drink. It’s a social lubricant that some people need to get them to loosen up and I understand that. And heck, hanging out with buzzed people is fun but I guess I’d like to be the sober one, the designated driver, the overseer.


And honestly, people who know me will tell you I don’t need alcohol, drugs or sugar to get a kick; I’m naturally high!


So, now I officially bid adieu to drunken nights and agonizing hangovers. It’s been one heck of a ride but hey, it all had to end sometime.


And it feels good!

0 comments: